Beard oil is used to condition, soften and moisturize beard hair. It is an effective moisturizer for the skin beneath a beard as well. If you are considering beard care products you may be overwhelmed by the many products available for beard care. This is especially true if this is your first foray into the beard care product market.
Beard oil is used to tame beard hairs and help them have a softer and fuller texture. It can also help to promote beard growth. To guide you through your process we decided to put together this little beard oil guide where you will find answers to the most common questions about beard oil.
Beard Oil Frequently Asked Questions
1. What Does a Beard Oil Do?
- Beard oil will act as a leave-in conditioner for your beard hair as well as for the skin underneath it. Our skin produces sebum which is a natural oil that helps with the appearance, condition, and health of your beard, however, this is stripped away each time you shower. Beard oil helps to provide your beard with the added nourishment so your hair won’t become brittle, dry, and wiry. It also helps by adding a light shin
2. Why Should I use Beard Oil?
- There are a number of benefits to reap from using beard oil.
- Tames the Hair – The oil will soften your beard hair and add shine so your hairs can look less scraggly for a neater and better-styled beard.
- Moisturizes the Skin Underneath – The oil will ensure the skin underneath your beard is healthy and supple. This in turn helps to reduce the occurrence of beard itch and dandruff.
- Promotes Growth – Many who use beard oil use it because it promotes growth. When your beard is healthy it is less likely to break and fall out. The more hair you retain, the fuller your beard will look.
- There are a number of benefits to reap from using beard oil.
3.Does Beard Oil Cause Acne?
- Badger Creek beard oil will not cause acne. Some men will experience acne when they are not taking proper care of their beards. What happens is the natural sebum is wicked away from your skin by the beard hairs and this can cause your skin to dry out which may result in an itch. In some cases, the body will start to overproduce sebum in an effort to fix the dryness. This additional oil being produced can create very oil skin and this can cause acne breakouts or make current breakouts worse.
4. Will it Clog My Pores?
- A properly formulated beard oil is made to support your skin and will never clog your pores. It will help your skin too. Our beard oils only use the best premium, non-comedogenic ingredients, so you never have to worry about your pores getting clogged.
5. Why Do I Get Pimples in My Beard?
- Your beard hair can collect a lot of debris and bacteria during the day from your environment, which can lead to the development of acne pimples. If you are not washing and moisturizing your beard appropriately you can be creating the perfect environment for acne to thrive.
6. What is In Beard Oil?
- Beard oils here at Badger Creek Studio are made with Argan Oil, Hemp Oil, Vitamin E Oil, Sweet Almond oil, and essential oils. The carrier oils are those that do the most work when it comes to the softening and moisturizing of your beard and skin while the essential oils add fragrance.
These ingredients condition your beard and the underlying skin keeping your beard healthy from the inside out. A healthy beard will continue to grow once it is being properly cared for and will become fuller with a reduction in split ends and dry and flaky skin.
7. Will Beard Oil Stop My Itching?
- Yes, the regular use of beard oil will stop itching and continued use will prevent future itching. Typically, beard itch commonly occurs in the first few weeks of hair growth. This is when the hair has started to curl and poke at the skin. At this time your skin may just need a little adjusting to the new growth and there may not be enough sebum production taking place as yet. This could leave the skin beneath your beard drier than normal. Beard oil helps by softening the beard hair and by adding the extra moisture your skin needs.
If your beard is longer, the itch is usually due to excessive dryness of the beard hair as well as of the skin beneath it.
Then there is beardruff that causes itching of the beard as well. This is characterized by scales from the dried beard skin beneath your beard similar in nature to the dandruff of the scalp.
To ease an itchy beard you will want to reduce the number of times you wash. Add a beard oil to your routine and add in an extra step of exfoliation for the skin beneath your beard. Our boar bristle beard brush is the ideal tool to help you exfoliate your beard skin. This will help to remove any dead skin that is trapped beneath the hair and will help to distribute your beard oil evenly throughout your beard.
If you find yourself with excessive itching and flaking that you cannot seem to get under control, you may be suffering from a condition known as Seborrheic Dermatitis.
8. When is the Best Time to Use Beard Oil?
- Apply beard oil after washing your face. If you live in a drier climate you may need to add a few drops to your bead during the day. We recommend that you start using beard oil as soon as you decide to grow a beard and continue to use it to ensure the prolonged health of your beard.
9. How Much Beard Oil Should I Use?
- If your beard is less than 1 inch in length you want to use 2 to 3 drops of beard oil daily. If your beard is between 1 and 3 inches in length you will want to use 3 to 6 drops daily. If your beard is between 3 and 6 inches you will want to use 6 – 8 drops once to twice per day. If your beard is between 6 and 9 inches in length you will want to use 8 to 10 drops once or twice per day. If your beard is 12 inches or longer, you will want to use as much beard oil that you deem necessary once or twice per day.
10. How Should I Apply Beard Oil?
- Dispense the oil into clean hands and warm by rubbing palms together.
- Apply to the skin beneath your beard first and then smooth over the hair.
- Use a beard comb or brush to distribute the oil evenly throughout your beard hair.
- Work the oil throughout your entire beard.
- If your beard is longer, comb through to ensure even distribution.
- Remember, don’t overdo it. Use the proper amount based on your hair length or else you will end up with a greasy beard.
11. How Long Before the Beard Oil Starts Working?
- Some benefits will take effect immediately, such as adding hydration and fragrance to your beard. Our beard oils are lightweight and non-greasy, so your beard will literally soak them up. It will take a couple of weeks of consistent use for the conditioning and softening effects to become apparent and for you to start seeing beard growth.
12. Will Beard Oil Make My Beard Grow Faster/Fuller?
- Adding beard oil to your beard care regime will help your beard to grow to its fullest potential. How long and full your beard will grow is dependent on your genetics. Beard oil won’t change you into a Viking if it is not in your DNA.
If you are concerned with the condition of your beard even after continuous beard oil use you could consult a doctor.
13. What is the Best Beard Oil?
- There are a lot of beard oils on the market. The best one for you really is the one that works the best for you and that comes in a fragrance that you like. Of course, we think ours is the best and think you should definitely pick up one from Badger Creek Studio.
14. How Do I Find the Best Beard Oil?
- Check out our collection of beard oils here.
Beard and Lady Beard Oil Ingredients to Avoid
These are plastics that give a lot of hair products the ability to provide your hair with shine. They work by coating the hair shaft but also block essential nutrients out of the hair shaft. Avoid any beard and lady beard oil product (yes women can use their own version of beard oil for all their shaving parts) that has ingredients that end with a “cone.”
These are used in a number of cheaper cosmetic applications They are harsh cleaners known for their ability to strip too much of your hair and skin’s natural oils leaving your hair and skin brittle and dry.
These are used as preservatives in a number of cosmetics products. While there is no conclusive evidence that parabens lead to health issues, we want to avoid all ingredients that we are not certain are healthy and beneficial.
What About Beard Balm?
Beard balm is another option for keeping your beard hydrated and healthy. It is thicker than oil and is a soft solid with a creamy consistency. You use the balm in the same way that you use oil and it will benefit your beard as well as your skin.
Which is Better? Beard Oil or Beard Balm?
The answer really comes down to what you prefer to use. But we have a couple of reasons people choose one over the other and this can help you to determine which you should choose.
Beard Oil May Be Better if:
- You want a lightweight conditioning product
- You want a product that absorbs quickly
- You want more fragrance
Beard Balm May Be Better if:
- You need to tame flyaways
- You have dry skin
- You need a little hold
- You are clumsy with oils
Of course, if you choose to go the route of a beard balm, we have a collection here at Badger Creek Studio as well. We have a range of beard care products to complete your beard care collection. We urge you to check them out so you can grow a healthy beard!